The Red and Grey

The Student News Site of Madison County High School

The Red and Grey

The Red and Grey

Giving students a voice

The Voice of MC

Students are elected by their teachers to join the voice of Madison County and act as the glue of our school. However, there is more than meets the eye in this case. The students help in planning events for our school, but they also take a bigger responsibility upon their shoulders, to ensure that every student at Madison County High School is heard. This club was first created by PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports) and was originally run by Lisa Shurtz, a teacher at MCHS, until last school year when both Mr. Dykes and Mr. Orr took over as she resigned. Furthermore, throughout the four years which this club has roughly been about in the halls of Madison County, it has grown to be a student-run club with its focus primarily on getting our voices heard and making school an enjoyable environment all around. Whilst often operating in the Spotlight’s view, they also do a lot behind the scenes. With the biggest events the school hosts, but they are also a part of the small differences that help Madison County High School be a place where students can come every day and be themselves.
     Eric Dykes, one of our two teachers who run the voice of MC, is known to not only plan some of these events but to relate to the students entirely. When asking Dykes about the negatives and positives of being a leader in this club he commented, “I see the positives of the students who care and want to help and want to do things, but being at the end of leading events I see the apathy that is all over the place in HS’s nowadays.” He moves forward with the motivation to make school a happier and more fun environment for everyone, by dealing with students who don’t always appreciate this effort. Samantha Dills, an eleventh-grade representative, explained how Dykes isn’t only a teacher you will once have in high school or once as a leader of a club. His youthful, friendly demeanor makes him an approachable favorite among students. Additionally, Dykes explains how the voice of MC is about making things happen, and how each student in the club pitches in ideas in order to work towards the overall goal – making school a better place. 

The second face of the voice of MC, Clint Orr, is an audio video teacher here at Madison County High School. Orr has been known for not only being a big member of the club but also someone who the students can come to for advice. Dills explained how Orr is someone who will always be there for everyone when they need advice. Then, when interviewing Orr, he explained that though he’s only been in the club for a short amount of time, he already feels more connected to the students, and believes that they deserve a voice, which is what the program is all about: “to give students a voice, to make their school more enjoyable,” he states. He then comments how being a part of this club showed him how much students can care about their school and how this club always keeps up with the community. This way the events such as homecoming, field day, pep rallies, tailgates, and everything else the Voice of MC does appeal to the students. Though the voice of MC may be more of a student-led program, it brings the members and the two facilitators closer, whether it’s by organizing an event, or simply hanging out.
    Though many students feel as though they aren’t being represented in our school, the students who are on the board for the Voice of MC are representing them and trying to give them the voice they deserve. However, the students aren’t the only ones who are giving the students a voice: Dykes and Orr are as well. So where it may seem some students don’t have a voice, behind closed curtains they do. Though the club gives students a platform for change, their reach spans much further. These students help to shape and make Madison County High School, well,  Madison County High School. They are how we have a homecoming and small pep rallies here and there. They are the reason Madison County High School has gotten to where it is currently today, and these students will be what shapes it in the future.