The Red and Grey

The Student News Site of Madison County High School

The Red and Grey

The Red and Grey

Getting to know Mrs. Carreño

Every student has, or had, to take Spanish at one point. Although it is not most people’s favorite, Mrs. Carreño still makes it a class to look forward to. From the moment she walked into the school for the interview, she knew this was where she was meant to be. She loves hiking alongside her dogs and watching her kids play soccer. She is experienced in many cultures and languages. She has been all over South America, and going forward she wants to explore the United States.

Thanks to her parents being missionaries, Mrs. Carreño has been traveling since she was young. She was born in Kentucky but moved to Colombia when she was three and stayed until she graduated. That was just the beginning. When asked where she has traveled, before answering she said she wishes she could travel more, then she started the unfinished list: Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Italy, France, Ireland, and a few of the many islands in the Caribbean.

As previously stated, Mrs. Carreño has been traveling for most of her life, mostly it has just been places she wants to check out, but she said God sent her to Madison County. She was working in Athens and heard amazing things about MCHS. Even at the interview for her position, she knew this was the place for her. In her words, she thought, “This place is special, and I think I wanna come work here.”

From growing up in Columbia, a very social country, Mrs. Carreño had to learn Spanish sooner or later. Her parents spoke Spanish in public, but English at home. They also enrolled her in an all-Spanish pre-school. She then went to an international school where they spoke English, but there were still Spanish classes.

Mrs. Carreño has several degrees involved in education, from SPED to elementary. She really wanted her children to learn Spanish and fall in love with the culture. She jumped at the opportunity to enroll her kids and teach in a Spanish immersion school.That’s when she “fell in love” with teaching Spanish, “I think that if you fall in love with the culture, you’ll fall in love with the language.” Her goal is to motivate her students to travel and discover the different cultures of the world. Mrs. Carreño also helps students who have Spanish as their first language learn English. It is part of a nonprofit she is involved in. She does English classes for Latinos who have just arrived in Georgia or have not learned English yet.

During the club period, Mrs. Carreño hosts the Hope Club, which is a Hope Hispanic organization for promoting education. It is a way for Spanish speakers to fall more in love with the Latino culture. The club not only has a huge social component but also gives back to society by performing social service. It helps students answer questions such as how they can use their language beyond high school, or what is beyond high school in general, and what Spanish-related jobs are there?

Juggling being a teacher and a mom is not easy, but Mrs. Carreño always keeps a positive attitude: she cares about every student individually and helps them get out of their comfort zone. Mrs. Carreño is very passionate about helping students understand the culture and language in which she was raised. Between all of her teaching degrees and traveling, she is a perfect fit for the job.