The Red and Grey

The Student News Site of Madison County High School

The Red and Grey

The Red and Grey

Anchors aweigh

MCHS’s Anchor Club
Anchors+aweigh

Over two hundred Anchor Clubs have been established since 1952. These clubs have stretched from the United States to the Bahamas and Japan. Anchor Clubs center around positively influencing their junior members in hopes of giving them the leadership skills beneficial for life. The Anchor Club is the student version of the Pilot Club, which is a group of adults who give their time to community service.  Dr. Sharon Black, an English teacher at Madison County High School, took over as sponsor of our Anchor Club in November of 2022. 

Unlike other clubs, Anchor focuses specifically on community service. The majority of the activities center around mental health and brain injury. For example, our school’s club is visiting, a home for mentally challenged people who have families. During the interview, Black discussed the importance of supporting those who are unable to support themselves and “don’t qualify to be in any of the public school programs.” The Anchor Club provides them with dinner and presents annually. For brain injury awareness, the club went to all the elementary schools and gave them bicycle helmets. They also do other small things to help the community, such as tying up scarves to give to the homeless. 

They also build their leadership skills as part of the pilot club. In these events, they learn to organize and execute various service projects. This includes planning events, designing flyers, recruiting members, raising funds, and finding sponsors. Along with this, they have a district convention. This is where they spend a weekend every February participating in leadership training seminars. This year, the convention will be held at Epworth by the Sea in St. Simons, Georgia. 

The clubs meet in Black’s classroom, room 329, every Tuesday afternoon from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. These meetings typically just talk about information and consist of planning their activities and events. Saturdays are the actual community service events. There is a $30 fee to join the club, because, in Black’s words, the student chapter at Madison County High School is a member of the International Pilot / Anchor Club. The club is also a member of the State of Georgia Anchor Club. Since it is a local club, they have to pay separate amounts of money for the club to thrive. The $30 from each person splits into the Georgia District, the numerous events, and the international portion of the club. If you do not want to pay the $30, you can benefit the club by collecting the pop tabs from your canned foods and drinks and giving them to Black in room 329. These donations go to the Ronald McDonald House. These donations have directly benefited two teachers at MCHS from being able to stay at the Ronald McDonald House.

Outside of high school, the Anchor Club “gives you a chance to plan and execute community service projects or exercise some kind of student leadership, so it’s good skill building,” as Black said. It also teaches what is involved in community service in universities and gives you the hours you need for applications. 

The club has helped many students and adults build skills to become leaders in their communities. Through mental health walks and providing necessities to the people who need them, the club has improved the lives of many individuals. These individuals use these skills to improve their communities. In the past seventy years, the club has gone from just a small club in Macon to thriving in over two hundred globally.