Just a Tad older: Tad Wilson’s journey from student to teacher

Madison County High School has such a wonderful impact on its students that many cannot help but return. Growing up in such an uplifting atmosphere full of teachers and staff who make sure each student has a welcoming venture here shows us just why many students return to MCHS to teach. Continuing the cycles of amazing writers, historians, mathematicians, and scientists, these teachers construct remarkable bonds here at MCHS. One of those teachers was Tad Wilson, an 2014 graduate. 

Wilson is social studies teacher who teaches U.S. and World Histories. No matter what class he is teaching, he always makes an impact on his students, continuously guiding each student towards triumph. So let us begin where it all started right here at MCHS. Mr. Wilson illustrates his high school self as “a pretty average high schooler. [He] made decent grades, participated in sports, and got along with most people within the school.” Despite his humble words, Wilson is an exemplary instance of the success Madison County is capable of producing. Wilson participated in sports such as football, and he was also an achieving FFA member for 2 years. When I asked Wilson if he regretted anything about high school, he said “This is a cliché, but I regret taking advantage of the time I had here. I could have done things differently which would have benefitted me in the future.” Many will agree with his message: We should never take time for granted. As Wilson will tell you, create your future now, and hold each memory close. 

Despite this modest personal view, I asked Brayden Colbertson what they think of Wilson. Colbertson describes Mr. Wilson, as “a big kid” who has not changed much from high school to college and back to teaching. Mr. Wilson’s fun-loving attitude makes learning in his class fun and enjoyable; always making the knowledge seem like a gifted opportunity. Wilson is a great teacher because he understands what it is like to be a kid here, and he wants to help his students in ways he did not have. 

Many teachers that taught Wilson still linger in the halls of MCHS today. When I asked Wilson which teachers worked here when he was a student, he said “Dr. Axon, Mrs. Brantley, Mr. Berryman, Mr. Cowne, Mr. Wilkes, and Coach Haynes.” Everyone knows how inspiring and exciting these teachers make school. However, Wilson’s all-time favorite teacher was tough for him to choose. Wilson states “[He] experienced some amazing teachers while [he] was a student here. Coach Haynes, Dr. Axon, Mr. Cowne, Mr. Wilkes, and the list could go on. [He] had great experiences with most of the teachers [he] encountered.” Not to my surprise that Wilson would state these names as each of these teachers has formulated lasting relationships with each student, whether you have had their class or not.  

One of the incredible mentors and English teachers here, Mr. Cowne, had Wilson as a student. Cownes states. “as a student, Tad Wilson was one of a kind.  Even if he had never joined our staff as a teacher, I’d still remember him fondly and think of him often.  He was a member of the graduating class of 2014 – the greatest graduating class of all time, and he was certainly one of the highlights of the class.” Cowne continues that “He was ALWAYS positive and energetic – I do not remember a single complaint from him in class.  More importantly, however, was the fact that he was (and is) a team player.  He was just as concerned about the success of others (in the classroom and on the field) as he was about his success.” Although Cowne’s particularly considerate words are true, Wilson was an amazing student all around for many teachers. Thus, exposing the greatness of Madison County Wilson returned to MCHS because he wanted to “make a change within [his] hometown.” 

However, a major question many might be wondering: Why become a teacher? Well, this takes much inspiration, which is not something the staff here at Madison County lacks. One of Wilson’s main inspirations was Mr. Davis. Wilson states that “Mr. Davis has had an impact on [his] philosophy as a teacher. [His] philosophy is a mix of many different teachers’ advice.” Furthermore, showcasing the energy Madison County spreads to everyone. Wilson realized he wanted to be a teacher in high school, he told me “[He] decided when [he] was in high school that [he] wanted to be a teacher. The way teachers had an impact on [his] life made [him] want to do the same.” His own life experiences defined what he wanted to be, and the teachers in his life distinguished who he wanted to be. 

Mr. Wilson was not the average high school student he previously stated he was. Wilson was, and still is, someone who inspires others to be better. However, becoming this person takes many levels of mentors. Wilson did not just go to high school, Wilson grasped his leadership in life in high school. Wilson became one of the funniest, most welcoming and leading teachers here at MCHS.  

The years we spend in high school are never the most vital years in our lives; however, the years we spend in high school, taking time to look for inspiration and guiding us to discover and create ourselves are some of the most significant years. So always remember to take advantage of the time you have here, time is finite. Thank you from the Red and Gray staff for showing us this.