Ring: That is the bell

Every new school year ushers in a gamut of unfamiliar things, but among the most notable this year has been the schedule change. Opposed to the two long days in the middle of the week; we now see all 7 periods every day throughout the week. Former head-honcho Jamie Dixon initiated these changes with the hope of making school more consistent for the students. However, these changes have received a controversial response from students and teachers alike. In light of this, we have decided to give our community an opportunity to voice their opinions regarding these changes.

Teachers are truly responsible for the overall school mindset, so when considering an opinion so broad, they are the first group we examine. To get an accurate outlook on the new schedule we asked numerous educators from varying subjects and varying instructional styles. The consensus was largely the same: schedules are an intricate issue to navigate and each one comes with its own unique pros and cons. Every teacher agreed that the new seven-period structure was flush with pros. Mr. Mangan says this new schedule “makes the days go by quicker as opposed to the 90 minutes days, which could often drag.”

Increased classroom flow, dynamic periods, and improved morale were common themes mentioned throughout all our interviews. Although the teacher’s opinions were generally positive, they were not hesitant to list the schedule’s primary flaws. Mrs. Berryman detailed one of these flaws perfectly, expressing “When teaching Freshmen, it can be hard for them to arrange transportation which can really limit when they can or can’t take on missing work.” Which also resonates with students who have jobs, after school duties, and do not have access to any other transportation other than the bus. As a former Honors Civics student; I feel for those kids. Mangan agrees with this sentiment; he feels that “many assignments done in Ninth Lit. take much longer than 55 minutes.” During the previous years, Teachers could request students to meet during the gray period during long days. Now that is gone many students that relied on their gray period to finish work no longer have the option. It is evident that thus far a struggle for time has played a demanding role in managing academics for teachers. 

Thus being said for the teachers, it is best to hear from those it impacts the most; the students. As stated above, many students are not as privileged to drive their own vehicle; furthermore, decreasing the ability to stay after school (according to the teacher’s personal availability). Even students who do own cars do not have the freedom to stay after school since most of them do have jobs that take up most of their afternoons. With this being said, some students like AnnaKate Mathis do enjoy the new schedule and feel as though the new schedule brings their “week more stability” and “less confusion.” Mathis does miss the enrichment/Gray period, but to some it made their days mundane. As for students like Mathis, who love a strict schedule, having seven periods each day brings more comfortability and excitement that they can attend each class everyday.